Here’s something you won’t hear on the nightly news: Over the past 12 months, President Trump has been on a mission to try to erase Barack Obama’s legacy and has rolled back Barack Obama’s legacy 11 times. They don’t call it MAGA for nothing.
President Trump had already taken aim at what he and many Republicans regarded as executive overreach by the Obama administration, dismantling dozens of actions put in place by the previous White House occupant.
This week, the House and Senate passed a tax bill that arguably makes the most sweeping changes to the tax code since Ronald Reagan. The bill will slash corporate taxes by more than either of Trump’s last two Republican predecessors could. It will cut taxes dramatically for a wide swath of small businesses, namely those who file on a pass-through basis. It will double the child tax credit. The left-leaning Tax Policy Center estimated at the beginning of the week that should the bill be signed into law, 80 percent of taxpayers would see a tax cut, while less than 5 percent would see a tax increase of more than $10. It is an imperfect bill, and one that perhaps should not be dubbed “tax reform,” but still a significant one that more or less adheres to what Trump promised on the campaign trail – and which will have notable effects on the budgets of many families and businesses across the country. And Trump will sign it into law before he even celebrates the first anniversary of his inauguration.
President Trump slashed at least 11 major legacy items of former President Barack Obama, including cracking down on the open border, slowing recognition of communist Cuba and effectively killing Obamacare by ending the mandate that everyone have health insurance or face a tax.
Here is the list:
1. Effectively repealed the Obamacare individual mandate.
2. Withdrew from the Paris Climate Agreement.
3. Terminated a “job-killing” coal mining rule.
4. Withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
5. Ended the Obama administration’s deal with Cuba.
6. Approved the Keystone XL pipeline.
7. The EPA repealed Obama’s ‘Clean Power Plan.’
8. Promised the end of “catch and release” for illegal immigrants.
9. Overturned an Obama regulation that prevented states from defunding abortion providers.
10. Took away Obamacare funding for some abortion services.
11. Attempted to roll back Obama-era methane emissions regulations.
And that’s just year one.