Around 100 Syrian Refugees Rush into Country After Seattle Judge Halts Trump Executive Order


Since President Trump’s immigration restrictions on seven nations were sidelined by a federal judge last weekend, the State Department has rushed in around 100 Syrians, according to a Breitbar report.  From February 5 to February 7,   Around one hundred Syrian refugees rushed into the country the first full week day after Federal District Judge James Robart issued a temporary restraining order halting key elements of President Donald Trump’s immigration executive order, “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States.”

A total of 113 refugees from three countries entered the United States, according to the State Department’s interactive website: 100 were from Syria, 12 were from Iraq, and one was from Somalia. The three were among the seven countries on which President Trump imposed a temporary ban in the issuance of visas by an executive order President Trump signed on January 27 immigration executive order, “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States.” and which Judge Robarts stopped nationwide with a temporary restraining order Friday. The other four countries on that list were Iran, Libya, Yemen, and Sudan.

One Syrian refugee family was greeted with applause and joyful tears Tuesday evening at O’Hare International Airport at Chicago as a federal appeals court heard arguments on whether to restore President Donald Trump’s controversial immigration order.

“This is what I expected of the American people,” Baraa Haj Khalaf said through a translator, minutes after exiting the international terminal doors to see people cheering, holding welcome signs and waving U.S. flags. “We are just overjoyed.”

The parents and 16-month-old daughter, who were fleeing civil war in Syria, were denied entry to the U.S. last week, days after the president’s directive barred refugees and immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering.
Another Syrian refugee family arrive safely at Pittsburgh airport. Nadar Khalof, 39, his wife, Kholoud Alteara, 30, son, Mohmad, 9, and daughter, Mays, 8, flew from Cairo to New York City, then to Pittsburgh.

“We’re really relieved because we’re here,” Mr. Khalof said through a translator.

They said they decided to move to Pittsburgh because they have friends and family here. Jewish Family and Children Services, which has assisted them with the move, said this is this the first Syrian family to arrive in Pittsburgh since President Donald Trump issued an executive order barring people entry to the U.S. from seven Muslim-majority nations.

Their plan to come to the United States, which was in the works for over a year, was put in jeopardy by Mr. Trump’s order. A federal judge blocked the order over the weekend making it possible for them to come into the U.S.

“It was really hard, and we felt really disappointed [to learn of the executive order],” Ms. Alteara said. “We were shocked.”

But the family was “excited” to be in Pittsburgh, Mr. Khalof said, and looks forward to giving their children a better future.

The family left the airport and headed to their new house in Lincoln Place. On the way, they got to see the Pittsburgh skyline for the first time as they emerged from the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

“It was amazing,” Ms. Alteara said. “It was beautiful.”